Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Schools of Magic: M12; White

I'm back! I know this isn't my most popular series (I can tell from the amount of hits I get) but this week I'm going to look at the spells of Magic 2012, the new core set! I will be skipping anything that I talked about in my M11 or Commander posts unless I've changed it. Hit the jump, and we'll look at White.



Hieromancy: The magic of law and order.
Soul: Healing and support magic.
Divine: Spells that represent divine might.
 
Aegis Angel: This is simply an awesome angel, and is therefore Divine magic.
Alabaster Mage: Seems like a fairly simple example of Soul magic.
Angelic Destiny: There should be no question that this is Divine magic.
Angel's Mercy: Despite the name, I think this is Soul magic because there isn't anything particularly divine about the effect - it's a standard, though powerful, healing spell.
Arbalest Elite: It follows the rules of combat (only attack combatants) making this Hieromancy.
Archon of Justice: Justice means law, which means Hieromancy.
Armored Warhorse: I really don't like the flavor of this one; why is a warhorse its own creature? it doesn't make sense! In any case, this is Hieromancy.
Auramancer: Soul magic.
Benalish Veteran: Soldiers are Hieromancy!
Demystify: This is a tricky one to figure out. Soul doesn't work, as it doesn't have any offensive effects, but either Hieromancy or Divine could be applied here. In the end I'm going with Hieromancy for this one, but it's only barely - if I were to cast it I would use Hieromancy, but others might use Divine for the same effect.
Divine Favor: This one couldn't be any clearer.
Gideon Jura: I have a bit of a mancrush on Gideon - he's just so cool! He is, canon-wise, a Hieromancer, and his abilities are all Hieromancy.
Gideon's Avenger: Setting rules is Hieromancy, and he's a soldier!
Gideon's Lawkeeper: Gideon is all about Hieromancy.
Grand Abolisher: This nasty card is a clear case of Hieromancy.
Griffin Rider: Hieromancy.
Griffin Sentinel: More Hieromancy.
Guardian's Pledge: Soul magic!
Lifelink: Lifelink is a Soul ability, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the spell that grants it is Soul magic.
Mesa Enchantress: This feels like Soul magic to me, but I'm not 100% on it; it could be Divine. Thoughts?
Peregrine Griffin: In any other set, I would have trouble with this spell - wild animals that have no abilities are difficult to place normally. However, the presence of Griffin Rider means this is Hieromancy.
Personal Sanctuary: Defense magic tends to be part of the Soul school, and that feels right for this spell.
Pride Guardian: This is another application of the defensive magic the Soul school is known for.
Spirit Mantle: Support magic, including making creatures more powerful and defending them from effects, is Soul magic.
Stave Off: More Soul magic.
Stonehorn Dignitary: Hieromancy!
Timely Reinforcements: A mix of Soul magic and Hieromancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment